A couple of weeks ago, the big boss at work asked me to design a poster that we could have printed, highlighting the 100+ employers that have hired graduates from one of our programs. We planned to print it fairly large – 20 x 30 inches. I spent 4 or 5 hours working on this poster at home one evening, mainly because I don’t have a good graphics editing program at work, especially not one that would allow me to create images at a high enough resolution so that they could be printed that large.
Even with the software, I have never had anything that I’ve created blown up quite that large before, and I worried that maybe I didn’t have the resolution right, and that after spending the money to have it printed, the finished product wouldn’t look crisp and clear. Finally, I crossed my fingers and sent the image off for printing.
Today I went and picked up my poster. I opened the tube eagerly, wanting to see if it had come out ok, wondering nervously what I would do if it hadn’t. Once freed, the poster was wrapped in what seemed like 87 layers of tissue paper that was taped closed in at least 10 different places. I tried my best to carefully remove the tissue, and by the time all was said and done, my poster looked awesome….except for the 2 inch tear I’d created front and center at the top while trying to free it from all of the damned tissue.
The most ridiculous thing I heard today: “These dentures saved my life!”